Friday, June 5, 2009

King Sandwich of Tastyville

Meet my new best lunchtime buddy, the raw veggie sandwich! I've been loving this...it's simply Ani Phyo's recipe for Black Sesame Sunflower Bread, slathered with yellow mustard on one side (easy to make raw if you want) and tahini dressing (which thickens to the consistency of mayonnaise when allowed to sit for a couple hours in the fridge) on the other side. Then layer on some ripe avocado, juicy tomato, salt and pepper, thin sweet onion rings, and lettuce leaves. The flavors are so wonderful; it reminds me of the raw version of a hamburger. And you feel much better when you're done eating it than you ever could after eating a Big Mac...

3 comments:

  1. What do you do when you don't like the taste or texture of things like raw onions? And I know onions are cancer-fighters too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this really yummy onion bread but it's dehydrated, and most people don't have a dehydrator. Sadly the onions most powerful benefits are destroyed upon cooking (though cooked onions still retain many nutrients, just not the "super" ones, as far as I know.) The upside is, if you eat raw garlic, it has a lot of the same benefits as raw onions. And there are so many other veggies loaded with antioxidants, you really don't have to worry! If you like cabbage and broccoli, those are monster cancer fighters, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks too yummy! I forgot about Ani's bread recipe. I am going to whip some up!

    ReplyDelete