Saturday, April 4, 2009

Creative Endeavors

My recent fun includes making a little rubber duckie cake for my niece Jasmine's first birthday party, and also sewing a little doll for the same event. The duck is banana cake and the recipe comes from talented Hannah Kaminsky's book My Sweet Vegan. The frosting is just plain "butter"cream. I used licorice for the eyes and a vegan jelly candy (by Sunspire -- I got mine in Fred Meyer's bulk dept) for the beak.






The doll was made from leftover scraps of this and that; I was most happy to find a perfect use for the black eyelash yarn my mother-in-law gave me...hair! It made the perfect little fuzzy 'fro. I hope to make more of these little dolls for Christmas presents...I have lots of little ones in my life, and this doll was so fun to make. I used this pattern, but I did the doll's hair differently than the instructions suggested. Using a needle and thread, I made "ladders" of stitching on the doll's head, and then wove the yarn into it. I thought it would be sturdier this way.


Fun times!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, both of these are absolutely adorable. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, the duck is sooooo cute!!
    Zuzana

    ReplyDelete