Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Purple Monster

I love smoothies for breakfast. The only problem I have with them is that they're CHILLY, and I don't like how they make me so cold inside when the weather is cool. I do use non-frozen fruit sometimes, but the smoothie isn't as thick and creamy. When you make your smoothie use as much or as little frozen fruit as you want; the more frozen items in your smoothie, the thicker and creamier it will be. This particular smoothie is my favorite because it has great flavor and the antioxidant content is out of this world! It's my secret weapon against all the free radicals that assault my body throughout the day. It's nice to realize that your health is what you make it, and if you give your body the right tools (in this case the antioxidants found in non-animal foods) you can delay aging and fight disease. This smoothie gets it's power from acai berries, blueberries, and chocolate.




Purple Monster Smoothie

In a blender:

1 banana, frozen for preference
1 c blueberries
1/2 packet unsweetened frozen acai berry pulp, broken into chunks your blender can manage
1-2 T cocoa powder
non-dairy milk (I like unsweetened almond): start with about 1 1/2 cups, and then thin as desired. You'll need less with fruit that isn't frozen.
about 5 drops liquid stevia, or other sweetener to taste

You know what to do.

Serves 2

If this is all you'll be eating for breakfast, you may want to add a scoop of rice or hemp protein powder (Trader Joes has reasonably priced hemp protein powder now!) and/or a tablespoon of ground flax seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment