Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mochi Waffles

Doesn't everyone have a package of mochi languishing in the fridge?

Maybe not, but I found myself with a package of chocolate-walnut mochi that was about to expire. It hasn't been used because it's a flavor I picked up on impulse, and it isn't exactly useful in the same ways that I use savory mochi. Chocolate mochi melted over cabbage and carrots, anyone? Gross.


I love how mochi melts gooey and cheese-like over hot dishes while baking or steaming. I like it in crispy, puffy oven baked squares. The puffy squares are like dim sum if you serve them with dipping sauce. This chocolate mochi, however, got the waffle iron treatment. I must say it was pretty cool.


Mochi Waffles


1 package of mochi, any flavor


toppings (see my ideas below for starters), limited only by your creativity and the willingness of you taste buds


All you do is grate a package of mochi on the large holes of a box grater, and sprinkle if over a pre-heated waffle iron. Put a little pressure on the iron when you close it. (You don't have to stand there, pressing on it the entire time it's cooking, though.) If you open the iron when the time would be up for a normal waffle, it will still be in it's gooey/melty state, so wait about 2 or 3 times as long as you would for normal waffles. It should be nice and crispy. Really crispy, like a giant rice cracker.


We ate ours with powdered sugar and peanut butter, but jam or vegan butter and rice or maple syrup would be very tasty too. In fact, I think if you did this with savory mochi and topped it with tahini and green onions it would be pretty bomb. Maybe next time I'll do a version of chicken and waffles: mochi waffles, breaded and fried seitan or tofu, and a dipping sauce. I could be onto something...


You can find mochi in the refrigerated section of most health food stores. It's usually by the seitan, tempeh, and tofu.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Marcella...I thought Mochi were these little bon-bons...http://www.mikawayausa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5PK&Category_Code=

    I'll have to check Mochi out next time I'm at Whole Foods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is something like a bon bon made out of mochi you might be thinking of! It's mochi puffs filled with ice cream. I think they sell them at Trader Joes, come to think of it.

    ReplyDelete