Thursday, May 28, 2009

Good Girl Gone Raw

My mom, sister and youngest brother all recently adopted a raw vegan diet (except for my bro, who still eats some ice cream and smoked fish occasionally. Only the essentials! :) They look so great -- especially my mom (hello glow!) -- I'm doing a 30 day raw fest. There's so many creative "raw people" out there now, I've had such a fun, informative time reading their books and trying new recipes. I'm on day 2 of complete raw-ness. My favorite parts are the green smoothies and decadent desserts--who knew, right? If you're new to green smoothies, try using spinach. The flavor is virtually non-existent in the finished product. I like other greens in the mix too, like kale. For making up your own, try 60% fruit to 40% greens to start with...and I think adding a "creamy" fruit, like bananas and/or mangoes, is essential for best flavor. Try it, you'll like it!




Green Smoothie
several handfuls of spinach
1 fozen banana
1 cup frozen mango chunks

1 1/2 cup frozen papaya chunks
Agave, maple syrup, or stevia extract to taste
liquid to blend (I like using water and homemade almond milk)
2 T ground flax seed, if desired

Blend, peeps.


Another yummy thing from today:

Pink Lady and Pineapple Salad

You can use any crisp apple, but Pink Lady apples are very special in this. I love their sweet/tart, almost rhubarb-y flavor.

2 apples, small dice
2 cups pineapple, small dice
2 T minced mint
2 T minced cilantro
one or two green onions, minced
1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, and minced
pinch salt
juice (and zest, if they're organic) of two limes

Toss everything together in a glass or ceramic bowl. Chill for 1 hr before serving.
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. We love our green smoothies around here. And we can always use new raw food recipes, so thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of Evie is hilarious! And I am totally jealous of your access to fantastic produce. Arizona is horrible in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh. That would be the worst part of living in a desert type climate for me. Is fresh local produce actually better there in the fall and winter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there are some farmer's markets in Tucson, but I've never gone because they are in obscure and far away locations. The big grocery chains will have like 5 organic options, and Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are totally small and not worth the cost. Regardless fresh produce lasts all about 24 hours at most because of the heat and sun. I keep my apartment at 72 degrees and if I leave a green banana on the counter it's totally brown within a day. This has to be the most frustrating thing about living in Arizona for me. I was at a Whole Foods in Bellevue over Memorail Day weekend and I about burst into tears in the produce section. I just end up buying frozen and it is not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. I would just about die.

    ReplyDelete