Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pretend Rice




I've been trying out recipes for my mom's 50th birthday party coming up next weekend, where all the food will be raw. I tried this interesting preparation for squash yesterday, an invention of Ani Phyo's. The recipe is in her book, Ani's Raw Food Kitchen. I'm not going to post the recipe because it's copyrighted, but it's definitely something you could do just knowing what's in it, so try making it if you're curious. The recipe is Mexican "Rice". The base is an acorn squash, seeded and peeled, chunked, and pulsed in a food processor until the bits resemble grains of rice. (The easiest way I've found to peel acorn squash is to seed it, then cut lengthwise along the lobes, and peel with a swivel peeler.) Mix in a tomato, some cilantro, a bit of white onion, a clove of pressed garlic, and some salt. When I first tasted this, I liked it a lot. My enthusiasm waned though, as I had to eat all of it by myself. Anyway, it's really an interesting idea, so I'm posting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment